Saturday, April 5, 2014

Friends of the LGBT Center: Kate Warden

Faces of the LGBT Center is a feature where we interview friends, members and volunteers of the Center to get the insiders' perspective.  If you want to be interviewed or want to nominate someone, you can email me at andy.teh.nerd@gmail.com.

Tell us a little about yourself, as much or as little as you want to share.

I'm Kate, age 25.  I am a female, and I prefer to describe myself as queer or pansexual, but usually I just say gay for ease of conversation. I grew up in St. Charles, but have lived in the city near Tower Grove Park for the last four years.  I consider myself a helper, and I am most at ease when I am in a position to provide support for others.  I currently work for Special School District as a paraprofessional for kids with special needs. I have a Bachelor's in theatre and an Associate's in Sign Language Interpreting.  I love learning more than anything, and in the fall I will be starting a graduate program in Social Work.  I hope to work with a variety of populations in the future, but I really want to help educate and support victims of domestic violence within the LGBTQIA community. I love live theatre, crafts, and spending time outdoors.

What do you do at the LGBT Center?

I started getting involved with the LGBT Center in the fall of last year.  I volunteer at the desk, and I am on a variety of committees including the Resource Committee, Newsletter, Social Media and Pride, etc.  Currently, I am working on one of the biggest solo projects I have ever undertaken.  I am directing the play Stop Kiss which will be performed at the LGBT Center May 9-10.  It tells a really powerful story about love, coming out and social injustices.  The play is a very personal story for me, and I can't wait to share it with everyone at the Center.

How have the people at the LGBT Center influenced you?

The LGBT center gave me a sense of community and family when I was between jobs and felt really disconnected from everyone.  The work we do there, the volunteers who keep the center open, the selfless sense of giving and the outpouring of love from everyone at the LGBT Center inspires me on a daily basis.

What are some things you enjoy doing outside of the LGBT Center?

I work two jobs, volunteer and am directing my play right now, so there aren't a lot of opportunities to do other things! When I do have free time, I love exploring St. Louis and trying out new restaurants. I am a bit of a space nerd too, so I love getting away from the lights of the city to see the stars and watch a meteor shower.  Of course, I love going to see live theatre any time I can. I also enjoy reading, crafting and binge watching tv shows on Netflix.

Random fun question 1:  What would be your best achievement to date?

I don't know if I was prepared for this question!  I have done a lot that I am proud of in my life, and I am not sure I could narrow it down.  Right now, if I can get my play on the stage with as few disasters as possible, that might take the cake. Live theatre is a finicky beast, and there is so much that could go wrong.  It will be a heck of an acheivement if everything goes according to plan!

Random fun question 2:  Have you ever sailed a boat?

I haven't! I haven't had much chance to travel, although I would love to.  I have spent very little time near the ocean/large bodies of water, much less sailing on them.  I think it would be a blast though!

Random fun question 3:  What type of music do you like?

Don't think I am too weird, but I love listening to musical theatre sound tracks, and Spring Awakening would have to be my favorite.  Outside of that, I have pretty eclectic tastes in music.  I will listen to anything from Indie and folk to dubstep and the Beatles.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments moderated to filter out spam and hate speech. Please be patient.